So many events in the world are tearing us apart. I’ll get to what I hope will bring you a few laughs, but first I need to unburden myself of some of what’s causing my despair. This is, sadly, hardly a complete list.
The current state of the world has us wondering about the competence – and compassion – of too many political leaders.
- Some political leaders apparently believe it is perfectly acceptable to invade another country and bomb them into oblivion – to free them from the tyranny of being free.
- Some political leaders believe that guns don’t kill people, people kill people, so everyone should be able to – in fact, encouraged to – own a semi-automatic weapon. What the heck, buy as many as you want; I’m sure that’s just what the Founding Fathers had in mind 234 years ago. Now, had those most recent victims been those politicians’ kids or parents, would that change anything?
- Some political leaders apparently believe that there is no such thing as systemic racism. Pardon my language, but what the f**k?! Just ask anyone at all who does not look White – anyone of any other “race”, regardless of their age, gender, or religion – what their experience has been. Racism exists, systemic and otherwise. It is a stain on our humanity; racism should be being addressed by our leaders at every turn, with every means possible. We’re all part of the human race.
- Some political leaders apparently believe that we have all the time in the world to address climate change, if it even exists. All the while we Homo Sapiens continue to destroy our planet. God help us.
- Some political leaders apparently believe that women should carry a fetus to term – for 9 long months – even if they’ve been raped. The mind boggles. Or carry a fetus to term that is known to have absolutely no possibility of viability outside the womb, such as a fetus missing vital organs – or a brain stem. Be forced to carry a baby for 9 months that you know is going to die as soon as it’s born – or after costing hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in medical bills to keep it alive for a few weeks. Just how bloody cruel can these self-righteous “leaders” be? There are no words.
OK, I’ve gotten some of my despair off my chest for the time being. Sorry about that. Deep breaths. Let’s see if a little humour can help lighten the mood. There’s more where these come from. (Thanks to Marilyn for most of these.)
There, do you feel any better? Do you have a favourite? 🙂